Pay Maintenance in Your Jefferson County or Louisville Divorce

Will You Have to Pay Maintenance in Your Louisville or Jefferson County Divorce?

Will you have to pay maintenance in your Jefferson County or Louisville divorce? Many factors must be considered during maintenance negotiations, mediation or litigation. There is no finite maintenance computation under Kentucky law as one would find for child support.

However, Kentucky’s family law code does specify several “factors” which must be considered including but not limited to:

  • The length of the underlying marriage
  • The age and health of the parties
  • The marketable skills and likelihood of employment
  • The contribution of one spouse to the completion of education or an advanced degree or license for the other party
  • The standard of living enjoyed by the couple during the course of their marriage

The general objective of maintenance is to level the financial playing field between the parties and to provide the opportunity to have time to gain meaningful employment.

Temporary maintenance orders may be issued early in the process to provide support to one party while the divorce proceedings are completed. Permanent maintenance orders are usually issued as part of the final decree or established through negotiation or mediation and specified in the marital settlement agreement.

Maintenance is not usually going to last for the rest of one’s life unless the marriage lasted for a substantial period of time. The Court will often establish expectations for the recipient to become self-sustaining.

If the income and financial resources of one spouse are significantly different than the other party maintenance will usually be ordered to balance the equation. This is a highly contested area of family law and you should seek the advice and counsel of the experienced Louisville divorce attorneys at Dodd & Dodd.

If you are concerned about whether or not you will have to pay maintenance in your Jefferson County or Louisville divorce we invite you to review the recommendations of our clients and contact us or call 502-584-1108 to schedule an appointment. We will review the unique circumstances surrounding your case and provide sound counsel and advice.